We are currently undergoing store website upgrades which affects this Blog. We plan to have everything restored on the Blog over the next few days (this includes PDF downloads, pictures, and links). These items have to be manually restored on the Blog. Thank you for your patience!

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Birdie Sling Bag


Hi there! Wow, this weekend just flew by! We went on a little trip to Las Vegas to visit family and to also celebrate our anniversary over the weekend.  We had a great time, but it's great to be back home! 

While we were there, I took this bag I made with me!  Let me tell you how much I love this bag.  




  • First of all, it's big.  I have three kiddos and I hate carrying a bag, plus a diaper bag with me.  Well this bag is big enough that I can put a diaper and wipes in there and still have plenty of room for my stuff.  
  • Along with the usual things I carry in my bag, I also had plenty of room to carry my embroidery project I am working on.  So I was able to work on some embroidery on our drive to Vegas. 
  • The strap--I love the strap.  It's a substantial strap that offers a lot of support.  I have other bags and the straps are thin and they tend to dig into my shoulder, well this bag (even though it was a good 5 pounds with all the stuff I had in it) had perfect support and never felt uncomfortable! 
  • The pockets--the pockets are quite large.  I am able to fit my wallet in one of the pockets, which makes it easily accessible so I don't have to dig for it--which I love.  
  • It is pretty! I have had so many compliments on my bag during our little trip to Vegas.  Everyone loved it, and asked if I made it--and I proudly said, YES! :) 


Fabrics used for this bag: 


Of course, my mom saw my bag and immediately asked if I could make her one.  I couldn't say no, after all, she just gave me a huge quilt for my birthday--which I absolutely adore. So I figured, she deserved one. ;)

I am a newbie when it comes to sewing bags.  It took some talking into to sew the first bag.  I was nervous to actually venture out into bag making!  My friends and I all decided we were going to have a girls night and learn to sew these bags together.  One of my friends, is an amazing sewer, and has made several different bags, including this one before--so she was sort of our teacher and walked us through making the bag. 

 Let me tell you,  I was pleasantly surprised to find out how easy it was to actually sew this bag together.  I was so worried it was going to be so hard and I wasn't going to enjoy the process.  Well I was dead wrong, the pattern was so easy to follow and the instructions were very clear.  So when it came time to make the second bag, I did it all by myself and did it in almost half the time it took me to make the first bag! 


Fabrics used for this bag:


I love how my mom's bag turned out.  We have similar tastes in colors and fabrics, so I really do love her bag just as much as my own.  The only difference in her bag is that I added a snap to the top of hers.  She requested a snap because she is traveling out of the country in a few weeks and wanted it to snap close.  It was my first time adding a snap, and it couldn't have been easier.


I was super impressed with Amy's pattern and how easy it was! I would definitely try another of her patterns! In fact, I have my eye on her weekender bag pattern! :) I also am thinking I will be making many more of the Birdie Sling's in the future! :)




Talk to you soon,


6 comments:

Missy Shay said...

Both your bags turned out great, I would want the snap too!

Lara B. said...

Lindsey, both your Birdie bags turned out beautifully! Your Mom must be pleased as punch!

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

So beautiful!!! I will add this to my list of good travel bags, thanks for the tip!

legato1958 said...

Love your bags and the fabrics you chose! Just gorgeous! (Especially your bag!) I am a big Birdie Sling fan, too . I love all of those pleats. This bag holds soooo much, and I also use the magnetic snap , too.
Susie

YOLO said...

It is lovely and beautiful bags, I love the fabric and the style you go.

Barbara said...

You made two bags that anyone would be envious of! They are just gorgeous!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...